Spring cleaning is a longstanding tradition helping homeowners welcome the warmer season’s weather, from bringing the outdoor patio furniture out of storage to simply reorganizing the shelves and closets in the house. While the intention of spring cleaning is mainly to make your home look nice and clean, GreenStar Termite and Pest Control is reminding homeowners that there are also specific spring cleaning steps they can take to protect their home from pest invasions and damage.
It is important to inspect homes for, and fix, any areas that may be a potential pest threat. Even making note of and sealing the smallest cracks is important because, if it’s not fixed, it can grow larger and become a new point of entry for pests to enter your home! The spring months also mark the onset of harmful pests including stinging insects like bees, hornets, and paper wasps, making pest prevention especially important this time of year.
Pest-Free Cleaning Tips
- Seal up cracks any cracks or openings along the foundation.
- Eliminate sources of moisture or standing water.
- Keep tree branches and other plants at least a foot away from the house.
- Wipe counter tops and empty the garbage regularly.
- Keep all food containers sealed, including pet food.
- Avoid leaving dirty dishes out for long periods of time (including pet dishes).
- Keep trash containers clean and sealed, both indoors and outdoors.
- Check screen windows and doors for damage as bugs can fit through incredibly small holes.
For more pest facts and pest proofing tips, please follow our Facebook and Twitter for daily updates, tips, and more. If you need assistance protecting your property from pests contact us here! We also offer a monthly mosquito control services to help protect you from Zika and more!